Friday, October 14, 2011

One Mom's Daily Supplications

It's been longer than anticipated since my last post. My excuse is that I'm a first time mom who's overbooked herself with volunteer obligations and parenting expectations... In the last few months I've found myself joining the board of a local moms group and becoming the IOCC parish rep for my church (a blog post on this soon to follow). My husband likens me to a chicken always looking for something shiny to peck. If this is the case, then in this analogy "something shiny" are the volunteer jobs that no one else seems too eager to take on. I enjoy keeping busy, but I also worry such things take away time from my son, so I put blogging on hold for the last two months or so.

Today, I just wanted to share a prayer that has helped me see through some of my more recent parenting struggles. This is the beautifully simple, Prayer of the Optina Elders. When I was a working girl and feeling anxious before an upcoming presentation, I would find a quite corner in the office and say this prayer to help calm my nerves. Now, I say this at the end of the morning prayers I read over my baby boy. When I'm having a bad day yet still have the presence of mind to pray, this prayer serves as a reminder that I can always ask for God's help. So often I fall into the trap of forgetting that God alone is what makes everything possible. Try as I might, I cannot make things happen the way I want them to just by sheer willfulness and I'm not going to achieve "Super Mom" status or super anything without the grace of God.

I first came across this prayer in, "The Orthodox Companion" by Rev. David F. Abramtsov and prefer this translation over others, plus it's the one I first committed to memory.

     Grant unto me, my Lord, that with peace of mind I may face all that this new day is to bring.

     Grant unto me the Grace to surrender myself completely to Thy Holy Will.

     For every hour of the day instruct and prepare me in all things.

     Whatsoever tidings I may receive during the day, do Thou teach me to accept tranquilly, in the firm conviction that all eventualities fulfill They Holy Will.

     Govern Thou my thoughts and feelings in all I do and say.

     When unforeseen things occur, let me not forget that all cometh from Thee.

     Teach me to behave sincerely and reasonably toward every member of my family, that I may bring them no confusion or sorrow. 

     Bestow upon me, my Lord, strength to endure the fatigue of the day, and to bear my part in all its passing events.

     Guide Thou my will and teach me to pray, to believe, to hope, to suffer, to forgive and to love. Amen.


O venerable elders of Optina, pray to God for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment