Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Paschal Troparion

At least in my parish, the Paschal Troparion is sung in both English and Russian. Unfortunately, my Russian doesn't go much farther than, "Gospodi Pomiliu" (Lord have mercy), so I'm fairly certain I sound something like the Swedish Chef from the Muppet Show when singing the latter version... I just hope no one has been listening to me! This year, I thought I'd try to make a more concerted effort to learn a little Russian (Slavonic) and have decided to begin with this hymn. Especially with younger aged children, some may not be so familiar with the words. As a former Kindergarten teacher in China I found that children love music and love to sing which is why I often taught new vocabulary through song. Since we will sing the Paschal Troparion until Ascension (June 2/20), I figured this would complement any lesson for the next two weeks, plus it's just one of those things that makes me happy to sing in any language. Below I've included English transliterations for Slavonic and Greek found on Wikipedia and St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church's website. Of course, I had to include the Chinese version as well... it's in Pinyin (Chinese Romanization). By the way, one needn't worry about tones when singing in Chinese. I was able to find beautiful recordings for each language sung in Byzantine chant. Enjoy!

Fresco painting of the Resurrection
Chora Church, Istanbul, Turkey
ENGLISH
Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs bestowing life!

RUSSIAN
Orthodox Music - Hristos voskrese (Христос воскресе) MP3 Download
Hrestoss vosskrese ez mertvih,
smerteeyou smert po prav,
Ee suscheem vo grobeh zhivot darovav!


GREEK
Orthodox Music, Divna Ljubojevic - ♫ Hristos Anesti ♫ MP3 Download
Christos anesti ek nekron,
thanato thanaton patisas,
ke tis en tis mnimasi zoin charisamenos!


CHINESE
Boston Byzantine Choir chanting Paschal Troparion in Mandarin Chinese MP3 Download
Jidu yijing cong sili fuhuo,
ta de si shengguo siwang,
ba shengming cigei yi maizang zai muzhong de ren!

No comments:

Post a Comment