Friday, May 20, 2011

Sunday of the Samaritan Woman

Well, I'm starting to second-guess myself when it comes to maintaining a blog primarily dedicated to Orthodox Christian education resources. As I'm now finding, there are A LOT of such materials already out there and a lot of mommy-blogs as well... so much for having a truly unique idea! However, I still hope to prevail since I am already learning something from the process and it's a great way to organize my thoughts. So, without further ado, I bring to you a lesson for the Sunday of the Samaritan Woman prepared by someone other than myself. The Antiochian Orthodox Department of Christian Education has a wonderful handout, coloring sheet and MP3 audio related to this Gospel story that you can find here.

Now I'm not going to try and reinvent the wheel, but I do think I can add a little to it. This simple origami drinking cup serves as a reminder of how Christ offered living water to the Samaritan woman and includes the verse:

Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.  - John 4:14

The cup really does hold water and the children can color or decorate the outside when they are done folding it. Click on the below picture to download the template. You should be able to print the file and then cut along the dotted line so that you have a square piece of paper for the origami. With the first fold, just bring the two corners with verse together, facing each other, and then follow the basic directions mentioned below.



For printable instructions on how to fold an origami cup, please click here. There are also several how-to videos on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment