Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sunday of the Blind Man

Sleep deprivation finally got the best of me last week due to my 6 month old's changing sleep schedule (waking every 1-2 hours through the night), so I'm a little late with this post. Nonetheless, thought I'd share a simple activity that can be done with younger aged children to complement the lesson for the Sunday of the Blind Man. What I love so much about this particular passage in the Book of John read on the sixth Sunday of Pascha is that it's steeped in symbolism. As noted in The Orthodox Study Bible, "The blind man is symbolic of all humanity: all need illumination by Christ, the light of the world." I also found useful the resources on the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America's site, Great Lent, Holy Week and Pascha and Let Us Attend: Sunday's Gospel for Children.  I'm including a simple maze that I created using the Discovery Education's Puzzlemaker. Please click on the below image to download the file. 

Kontakion (Fourth Tone):
I come to You, O Christ, as the man blind from birth. With the eyes of my soul blinded, I cry out to You in repentance, "You are the resplendent Light of those in darkness."

No comments:

Post a Comment